About Shamwari Game Reserve
HISTORY OF SHAMWARI GAME RESERVE
Shamwari, meaning “my friend” in Shona, is the pinnacle of game reserves and home to the coveted Big 5, stretching 25,000 hectares over a malaria free landscape, it offers an award-winning nature experience and is one of the largest private conservation initiatives in Southern Africa.
Shamwari is a place where guests can exist in harmony with nature, however fleeting the moment; where free-roaming wildlife traipse the landscape under the relentless African sun.
Shamwari incorporates seven 5 star lodges, each one unique and each with its own essence. Lodges are designed in harmony with their surroundings where guests can experience nature in sublime comfort.
WHY CHOOSE SHAMWARI GAME RESERVE?
Conserving a vanishing way of life...
Back to top
- World’s Leading Safari and Game Reserve and the World’s Leading Conservation Company since 1998
- Environmental Award from American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA)
- Traveller’s Choice 2008 from Trip Advisor
- One of the largest private game reserve in the Eastern Cape and one of the largest private conservation
- Initiatives in Southern Africa
- Largest concentration of wildlife in the Eastern and Southern Cape
- A premier Big 5 safari which is private and exclusive to Shamwari guests only
- 5 of South Africa’s 7 biomes occur on Shamwari Game Reserve
- Dedicated Wildlife Department (including qualified wildlife veterinarians, ecologist and
- Environmentalist) boasting a breeding centre, a rehabilitation centre, an animal hospital, an
- Education centre and an anti-poaching unit has received the Global Nature Fund Award for Best Conservation Practice
- Unique safari based activities to allow for a complete 5-star and tailor-made experience
- Malaria Free
- Approximately a 45 minute drive from Port Elizabeth Airport with daily flights to international airports
- Natural extension of the famous Garden Route
- Ultimate family destination
- Unique activities aimed at children of all ages