About Shamwari Game Reserve
HISTORY OF SHAMWARI GAME RESERVE
Shamwari, meaning “my friend” in Shona, is the pinnacle of game reserves and home to the coveted Big five on one of the largest privately owned and run conservation initiatives in Southern Africa.
Shamwari is a place where guests can exist in harmony with nature, however fleeting the moment; where free-roaming wildlife traipse the landscape, often under the relentless African sun.
Shamwari Game Reserve’s hospitality division incorporates seven, five star lodges, each one with its own unique essence of Africa.
The lodges are designed and operate in harmony with their surroundings and are a place where guests can experience nature in sublime comfort.
WHY CHOOSE SHAMWARI CONSERVATION EXPERIENCE?
Back to top
- Voted World’s Leading Safari and Game Reserve since 1998 and World’s Leading Conservation Company in 2012, at the World Travel Awards.
- Malaria free operations on one of the largest private game reserves in the Eastern Cape with five of South Africa’s seven biomes represented.
- A dedicated Wildlife and Conservation Department includes a wildlife veterinarian and ecologists with a wildlife breeding, animal rehabilitation (ARC) and rhino awareness center. Facilities also include an animal hospital and anti-poaching unit.
- Shamwari is the host to Born Free Foundation Big Cat Sanctuary for rescued lions and leopards.
- Only one hour drive from Port Elizabeth Airport, there are several adventure and leisure activities in close proximity, which stretch down a beautiful coastline known as the Garden Route.
- Our student coordinators are conservation qualified and experienced as rangers and field guides, to be able to maximise your wildlife experience.
- We offer a diverse experience that exposes participants to real conservation issues and tasks, with the chance to make a sustainable difference through their participation.